Advent is a time of preparation and waiting for the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Advent is also a time for Christians to renew their desire for Jesus' second coming. The season of Advent begins four Sundays before Christmas. The first Sunday of Advent is also the beginning of the Church year. Celebrating the season of advent will put the focus of Christmas on Jesus and not on Santa Claus and presents. Here are three ways for children and families can celebrate this wonderful season.
1. Make an Advent wreath
Check out this video to learn about the advent wreath and make one!
2. Use an Advent calendar or make your own!
Advent calendars help you discover ways to prepare yourselves to receive Jesus into your hearts. Create your own calendar or make it a fun family activity.
3. Find ways to help others.
This is the season of giving. You can give your time, talent or treasure to others in need.
- Start with doing kind deeds for your family members. Doing chores without being asked, giving compliments, making people smile are all good examples of the small ways you can be kind to your family
- Churches usually organize food drives or giving trees where you can donate groceries or other gifts for families who are in need.
- Soup kitchens look for supplies and volunteers
- You can donate toys and gifts to shelters and hospitals
- You can write a card with a cheerful and hopeful message to sick children who are in hospitals